Dr. Atsuko Kodama, M.D., Ph.D.
“Care for our patients as we would for our family!” This motto is instilled in each member of our staff, you can walk in with the expectation of receiving the highest level of medical care and personal attention.
Board Certified Physician
Dr. Atsuko Kodama is a board-certified dermatologist and dermatopathologist who has been practicing medicine for more than 20 years. She focuses her practice on screening, diagnosing, preventing, and treating skin cancers and other medical skin conditions. She uses her extensive experience as a skin cancer scientist and dermatologist to provide her patients with the highest level of care.
Dr. Kodama has an extensive educational background and has studied under world-renowned dermatologists and dermatopathologists. She is dual-board certified in Japan and the US with educational background and practice history in both countries.
Dr. Kodama graduated from Kobe University School of Medicine, one of the top medical schools in Japan, earning an M.D. and a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. She was subsequently appointed assistant professor, the youngest to have earned that position at their highly competitive medical school, where she performed cancer research for several years.
Dr. Kodama then decided to move to the US to do cancer research in the laboratory of a world-renowned scientist in Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the Rockefeller University in New York. After publishing several articles in prestigious science journals, she decided to go back to patient care and started her career as a clinical dermatologist in the US. She completed her internship, residency and fellowship at the highly rated Dermatology program of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center:
- Internship: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Internal Medicine
- Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dermatology
- Fellowship: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dermatopathology
Dr. Kodama is an active member of the medical community and is a member of several prestigious organizations, including:
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Dermatopathology
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgery
For over ten years, Dr. Kodama performed laboratory research focused on skin cancer. That included five years as a senior scientist at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and two years at the Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Her research has been published in many highly ranked clinical and scientific research journals, and she frequently lectures on the topic of cancer research. She has also coauthored a couple of Dermatopathology textbooks.
Why Choose Dr. Kodama?
Dr. Kodama is both a highly skilled physician and accomplished scientist. Her unique experienced as a skin scientist ensures that patients receive the most up-to-date treatments and care. Her specialized knowledge in skin research sets her apart from other dermatologists in the Philadelphia area. She applies her extensive experience and unique expertise to accurately diagnose and treat skin cancers and other skin conditions. She is focused on providing high-quality dermatological care for her patients, considering their well-being to be the top priority. While treatments range from purely medical to others more cosmetic in nature and with appearance and cosmetic effects always receiving high consideration, Dr. Kodama ensures that her patients’ health will never be compromised. Optimal health treatments are always her goal.
Dr. Kodama’s Approach to Care
Dr. Kodama returned to treating patients after years as a cancer research scientist because direct patient care is her passion. In her more than two decades of medical experience, Dr. Kodama learned that no two patients are exactly alike. That is why she is committed to providing each of her patients personalized care that is tailored to their individual needs and health goals. She works closely with her patients to understand what is important to each individual and develops a course of treatment that is unique to each patient.
Dr. Kodama and her staff are committed to making sure that all questions are thoroughly answered. Educating her patients about their health and treatment options is Dr. Kodama’s top priority. At the Philadelphia Center for Dermatology, we are committed to making sure our patients receive high-quality, effective, and affordable dermatological care.
Select book and scientific journal publications:
- Kodama A, Susa J, Cockerell CJ. (2013). Diagnostic Pathology: Nonneoplastic Pediatric Dermatopathology. Lipoid Proteinosis (8-18), Grover Disease (14-2), Bite Reaction (18-2), Larva Migrance and Currens (18-12), 1st Edition, Amirsys
- Kodama A, Susa J, Cockerell CJ. (2012). Diagnostic: Nonneoplastic Dermatopathology. Lipoid Proteinosis (8-18), Grover Disease (14-2), Bite Reaction (18-2), Larva Migrance and Currens (18-12), 1st Edition, Amirsys
- Wu X, Kodama A, Fuchs E. (2008). ACF7 Regulates Cytoskeletal-Focal Adhesion Dynamics and Migration and Has ATPase Activity. Cell, 135, 137-148
- Kodama A, Lechler T, Fuchs E. (2004). Coordinating cytoskeletal tracks to polarize cellular movements. Cell Biol., 167, 203-207
- Kodama A, Karakesisoglou I, Vaezi A, Fuchs E. (2003). ACF7: Essential Integrator of Microtubule Dynamics. Cell, 115, 343-354